News TCKID

News from the TCKid Community

First TCK Meeting in Taipei, Taiwan

with 6 comments

By Angela

Last Saturday, I went to the first meetup from the Taiwan TCK group not really knowing what to expect. We ended up talking for four hours, laughing so hard the management had to tell us to tone it down and hugging everyone goodbye at the MRT station.

first meetupJudy, Angelica, Chi and Zoe

Afterwards, we all decided that we benefitted from the group and the meetings would go on monthly in the future. We wanted to reach out to more people who find themselves between cultures to join our group, whether or not they are the typical TCK like Zoe or an someone who found herself drifting away from her home culture later in life, like Chi.

I’ve started this blog as a way of continuing the conversation online. It’s also a way for us to keep in touch between meetings and perhaps arrange additional meetups for fun times like movies or going to the beach B-)

Read more about our first meeting…

The more the four of us talked, the more experiences and attitudes we seem to have in common. And I know on some level that is an illusion because we are all quite different people, I’m sure, and don’t really know each other very well (although Judy and Chi are friends from before). Still, it is nice to air viewpoints and feelings that would not be understood or affirmed by most of our friends not because they don’t love us enough or care enough, but because, perhaps, there is a part of us that is not <i>accessible</i> to them.

Without being too dramatic about it, I think belonging to two (or more!) cultures is a gift, but it is a gift that extracts a penaulty. The penaulty is a nagging sense of never fitting in completely in your environment. You can’t go home if home is not a singular entity. For most of us, most of the time, this loneliness is a managable background presence, easily lost in the noise of the other annoyances of everyday life. But for some of us, sometimes, it balloons, perhaps under a stressful situation or depression into a sense of alienation that is all too clear and painful to ignore.

I hope that forming friendships and sharing experiences with other TCKs, we can laugh and commiserate about the negative aspects of being a TCK and celebrate the positive aspects too.

Written by Myra Dumapias

July 24, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

6 Responses

1. Hi, I was wondering how do I join the Taiwan TCK group? I only recently heard of the term “TCK” and realized that was the definition for me after endless mourning, anger, and grief. I joined the tck world website two nights ago and Brice has recommended me to talk to the Taiwan TCK group. Please help me!

Ami

October 5, 2009 at 6:52 am

2. Hi Ami,
    We have a list of all our TCK groups on Facebook that we update regularly which is normally listed on TCKID – but it is currently down because of the hacker attack.

So we have a list here on our temporary down page if you scroll down you’ll see a list of over 50 groups: http://tckid.com/group

In that list, you’ll find TCK Taiwan and the FB group:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=63150623017 and you’ll find the blog too: tcktaiwan.flashmuse.org/

Most of the groups are currently fragmented on Facebook and various websites. We’re working on a solution to centralize and improve communication between community leaders.

I hope that helps!

Brice

Brice

October 12, 2009 at 11:41 pm

3. How do I find out when the TCK meetings are in Taiwan? I have the responsibility to work with severl TCKs as the only ATCK and I think that they would enjoy these get togethers. We live it central Taiwan.

Tamara

November 17, 2009 at 5:18 pm

4. Hi, I am a ATCK and I am responsible for quite a few TCKs here in central Taiwan. We would like to meet the the Taiwan TCK group when they meet. How do I get the information on when and where they meet?

Tamara Harvey Storie

November 17, 2009 at 5:21 pm

5. How do I find out when the TCK meetings are in Taiwan? I have the responsibility to work with severl TCKs as the only ATCK and I think that they would enjoy these get togethers. We live it central Taiwan.

Tamara

November 18, 2009 at 1:18 am

6. Hi, I am a ATCK and I am responsible for quite a few TCKs here in central Taiwan. We would like to meet the the Taiwan TCK group when they meet. How do I get the information on when and where they meet?

Tamara Harvey Storie